Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Awesome Thailand Blog Post 1

We are approximately 6 months away from our trip to Thailand.

A little background:

I've always wanted to go to Europe. Backpack. Travel. See stuff. I asked all my friends for advice. Last November, I had my heart set on visiting Europe for spring break in April. Life really got flipped, turned up-side down and thus I never got to Europe.

Morgan had always told me about how much she wanted to go to Thailand and how, on past trips to Europe, people raved about how amazing Thailand is--and I agree having been there numerous times as a child and teenager.

Lindsay Morgan and I are not strangers to traveling. A few years back, Morgan, Markee and me journied to the long lost city of Bellingham, Washington. We dropped Markee off in Oregon because we didn't want her anymore. We traveled by car, a bitchin' camaro, now deceased. We have proven to ourselves we can travel cheap and live on couches. Of course, I was afraid of rats and fleas, but that didn't stop me.

Back to present:

We somehow got the crazy idea we'd both go to Thailand. I'm not really sure when, or how it happened, but I do know that last Sunday, Morgan and I got serious about it. We went to look for plane tickets, books on travel, translations--everything. We mapped out our stay and chose our travel companions. She said her roommate Joe really wanted to go. And I thought of Danielle, the person I would love to travel with the most because she's the most fun to be around in any situation--especially when everything else feels awkward, she makes me feel upbeat and positive.

So we have our four travel companions.

Joe - The Bodygaurd.
Morgan - The Cultural Advisor.
Eddie - The Translator and Navagator.
Danielle - The Innocent "Mary-Ann-type" who will get us free beer and possibly hookers. (Just Kidding)

---

I'm brushing up on my Thai. I used to be fluent. I can definitely understand it. I can speak it a little better than a 2nd language learner. I can also read some letters.

The biggest hurdle will be getting us there and back. We'll need passports and money for the plane tickets. This means I'm going to work my ass off to save up at least 2000 bucks. I know I can do it. I can take on whatever odd jobs I can find. I also get a paid vacation, so I should do my best at my current position as a Marketing Director. Maybe I can sell the Porsche if I have to.

This is going to be a great time. I feel like I have a great team. I'm going to need some Indiana Jones clothing and an elephant.

I'm ready.

No comments: